26 May 2009

A Dog's Life


The sea! The sea! I love the sea,
With waves that slosh about.
Its salty water beckons me,
‘Come in, please don’t stay out.’
Although it’s freezing, I am bold;
I’ll gladly take the chance
To plunge into those waters cold
And splash and swim and prance.

The sand! The sand! I love the sand
That lies so flat and wide.
There’s lots of room upon the strand,
Depending on the tide.
I’d gladly stay here all the day
To splash and chase the brine
And run to fetch my ball and play
And dig the sand so fine.

The car! The car! I love the car
That brings me to this place
And takes me home to fields afar
With wind blown in my face.
I love to have the window down
And roll upon the seat,
And smell the smells of field and town,
And wipe my dirty feet.

My food! My food! I love my food
Served in my shiny dish;
Leftovers fried or boiled or stewed,
Or even some fresh fish,
Are what I like the best to eat
But kibble smells all right.
I’ll gobble ‘til I’m quite replete
Then fart for half the night!

My bed! My bed! I love my bed
With stuffing soft and deep.
I’m quite worn out and nicely fed,
So, time to go to sleep.
I’ll dream of cars and sea and sand
And other pleasant spots,
And food that fills my tummy, and
My folks, who love me lots.

Copyright © 2009 Desmond Hilary (with help from Maximus Flatus Rex)

1 comment: